Why We Give tells stories of ordinary philanthropists making a difference, dollar by dollar and hour by hour.
- $335 billion dollars donated to philanthropic causes annually
- 64.5 million Americans contributed 7.9 billion volunteer hours
- 10.7 million people dedicated to nonprofit careers
Despite this compelling data, the spotlight typically shines on benefactors making major gifts. Gratefully acknowledging this generosity, the unanswered question remains – who are the ordinary philanthropists, impacting giving from a grassroots level?:
- Who are the donors giving $50, $250 and $500 dollars?
- Who are the volunteers, donating $175 billion dollars of their time?
- Who are the professionals devoting their careers to philanthropy?
More than just names on a nonprofit’s website, there are faces behind every gift. These donors embody passions and purpose as catalysts of change. By featuring their stories as ordinary philanthropists, we aspire to universally recognize those who are socially conscious and encourage others to follow in their footsteps and participate in philanthropy.